Re: [OM] Options in distortion correction [was Custom Lens Profiles - CC

Subject: Re: [OM] Options in distortion correction [was Custom Lens Profiles - CC]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 03:12:06 -0700
On 9/2/2016 2:25 AM, Frank wrote:
Interesting, thanks!

At least one other brain found elucidation, not cramps!

The 12-32mm looks more wide-angle then the 12-50mm to me?

With this particular pair, yes. Back when Modern Photography did their excellent lens tests, one of the things they measured was actual focal length. They allowed ±5% as normal manufacturing variance. These two are less than 10% different. Try another pair, and the results will be likely be different.

But the distortion of the 12-32mm @12mm looks bigger to me too?

I based what I said on PhotoZone tests. Their tested copies of these lenses showed 6.87% barrel for the 12-50 and 6.29% for the 12-32.

Curious: how do you use PTLens for these m43 lenses in your workflow if you
don't want ACR to correct them? I like to keep as much wide-angle as possible.

I tend use DxO, without their correction applied, 'cause I have it and am familiar with it. RawTherapee is free, has no distortion correction based on profiles, so by default outputs an uncorrected TIFF. Either way, the TIFF goes into PS, where I apply the PTLens plug-in.

So far I use PTLens in LR only with legacy glass...

There are lots of profiles for contemporary, AF glass. And if they don't have a lens, it's not hard to take and send some shots to have one made.

Twisted Moose