Re: [OM] Plumbing shenanigans-- on topic, OMZ used

Subject: Re: [OM] Plumbing shenanigans-- on topic, OMZ used
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2016 19:48:14 -0500
Impressive!

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

This project was many months in the making.   We had an upstairs bath redone and the
Ca/Fe/Mg/Mn in our water was ruining the grout.  Our water is very hard and softened will
make the tonicity so high it would be instant deaf for orchids and slow death for
everything else.  We have an under-sink RO unit for our Phrag orchids but that can not
make enough for all the plants.  Designing something and acquiring the parts took awhile.
 Lucky our plumber has a sense of humor and actually shows up.  Marnie says (for good
reasons) I should largely restrict myself to "theoretical plumbing."   I wanted
a charcoal pre-filter to protect the ion exchange resin and a pre-pre filter to get rid
of the abundant particulates in our water and protect the more expensive charcoal filter.
 I drew the line on a pre-pre-pre filter.  I had to special order an on demand heater
factory set at 75 deg  for the orchids after speaking with tech support.  Finding 2
Triflow faucets, one for upstairs and one for do
wn
  stairs was no piece of cake.  They were 1200 bucks a pop at Rohls for  some monstrosity
we did not want but a bit over 100 direct order from a factory in China.  Actually build
quality of the stainless items was quite good.  One channel has no contact with
metal--prolly a good thing for RO water which is "aggressive."  So upstairs we
have  for the main  faucet--hot and cold softened water and RO and prewarmed filtered but
unsoftened for plants/orchids. RO faucets usually come with air-gap faucets but I got a
separate air gap  gizmo that has to be plumbed in for the waste water.  I showed the
diagram to the plumber.
Curiously the TDS meter (modified conductivity meter) only went up  hair for
the softened water.  My Pchem was rusty and did not immediately  remember the
divalent cations conduct current much better than Na+--thus though the tonicity
was much higher, conductivity is not a colligative property.

Mike, CTP  (certified theoretical plumber)