Re: [OM] OT: Stereo Bluetooth Headphones

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Stereo Bluetooth Headphones
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 10:55:18 -0500
> One of the biggest things I'm afraid I'm not going to like about today's
> iPhone reveal - all of the credible rumours that Apple has eliminated the
> 3.5mm analog jack and you are either forced to use wireless, or have to
> plug a Lightning dongle in so you can plug your analog phones/patch cord
> in. I also have a calibrated measurement mic that plugs into the headphone
> port that I use with the SPL/Spectrum analyzer apps on my phone - remove
> the 3.5mm jack, and it suddenly becomes useless.

I spent a small fortune on my Samsung Note 3 almost three years ago.
The "red hot" Note 7 is wonderful, but since I went with the best
possible device three years ago, it is still viable and excellent
today. Other than a few doodads and "quality of life" features, the
"latest/greatest" offers little beyond what I already have. The only
reason I would consider changing phones this year would be to change
carriers. Oh, and the fact that my USB connector is wearing out.

As to the headphone jack, I am thinking about all the devices I
currently plug into that thing. Headphones, earbuds, microphones,
Square Reader, and line-out as well as line-in to audio mixers. Oh,
and my car stereo system. It would be devastating to me to not have
the jack right now.

BlueTooth? Sure. That's fine if you are able to limit your devices or
have control over everything in an organized manner. My wife and I get
in her car for a trip. Both of our phones, my iPad and two other
Android devices are all paired to her car. Which one does which? It
gets trippy in a hurry. And let's not forget about the battery use
that BlueTooth takes.

To add insult to injury, is BlueTooth a "secure" communications
mechanism? Hardly. I wouldn't be able to run a Square reader over
anything BlueTooth. It would have to be direct connect to the phone.

AG