Re: [OM] Small Town Thrift Shop

Subject: Re: [OM] Small Town Thrift Shop
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 14:11:30 -0400
Documentary photography hit home for me yesterday. It's getting difficult to find a place around here that will change a watch battery. But we know of a very small jewelry store in Myrtle Beach that does it as we used their service about 2 years ago. It's located on US highway 17 also known as Ocean Highway since it's not far from the beach.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina is a summer tourist town. It has been for many years but has grown tremendously since the advent of air conditioning. That has left the little jewelry shop as a bit of an anachronism. It was clearly built many years ago but is today surrounded (farther than you can see) by a huge Walmart on the next street corner, and large numbers of restaurants and numerous other types of businesses largely catering to the tourist trade as well as the locals.

I hadn't noticed it when we were there before but this time I noticed a B&W pano high on the wall nearly to the ceiling. It's probably about 30" wide and perhaps 10" high. It shows 3 small adjacent buildings. The one at the far left is a little motel. The one in the middle a little cafe and the one on the right a small, 2-pump Gulf gasoline station. I stared at it for a moment and then had to ask the owner if his little jewelry shop is the former Gulf station. It is.

The B&W pano was taken in 1953. You can't see too much in the photo beyond what I just described but you can see that where the Walmart is was nothing but an empty field back then. It was an interesting little glimpse of history.

Chris, I hope you don't have to wait 60 years before your documentary photos are best appreciated.

Chuck Norcutt