[OM] Megapixels and detail in images

Subject: [OM] Megapixels and detail in images
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 21:15:52 +1200

I have to confess that this issue puzzles me. Yes, I know it is not
the only one ...

For some time I have been somewhat disappointed by
the amount of image detail provided by OM digital cameras.

The best
two I have are very close in performance as far as I can tell; these are
the E-3 and the DE M5.

I've just taken delivery of John shaw's book
"Digital Nature Photography" in which he points out that he uses
exclusively Nikon gear and the Nikon D800e has 36.30 Megapixels.

So I
thought I'd see how that impressive figure compares with the M5's 16.1
MP.

The first site I looked at indicated there's very little
difference between the two. Certainly not a 36/16 difference.

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-d800-vs-olympus-om-d-e-m5-comparison-20255

A somewhat dubious video at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o13ndzqQDiQ seemed to indicate that on
their unstated gear, OM is better.

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Nikon-D800-vs-Olympus-OM-D-E-M5-II
gave Nikon the nod without visible evidence.

For video (which I don't
use) the OM acquitted itself very well

http://nurseryrhymes.pw/watch/krq5r2Zhlzc/olympus-om-d-vs-nikon-d800e

When I set out to write THIS page I tried to locate a web-site I found
earlier int eh day which had a very few side-by-side images, but failed.

As I recall, the Nikon had no visible advantage.

There are many
sites about he M5, but few making the comparison I want. It might have
to be phase 10 !! :-)

Brian