[OM] IMG: Vuelta, the penultimate stage

Subject: [OM] IMG: Vuelta, the penultimate stage
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 18:10:50 +0200
On Saturday the Vuelta a España passed through one of the mountain passes that
I regularly climb, Puerto de Tudons. Except that they had to climb it twice,
once from each side, and also ride a further 500 m up to an air force base on
top of the Alto de Aitana, where I have never cycled because it is normally
closed to the public. It was the penultimate stage and the last one in the
mountains, so it was Chris Froome’s last chance to attack Quintana to make up
the 1 1/2 minute he was behind. Quintana repulsed all Froome’s attacks and so
won the Vuelta.

I went to the town of Relleu to see the cyclists descend from their first pass
through the Puerto, on a steep road that ended in a sharp curve. A good place
to watch them because they had to slow down sharply to negotiate the turn.
About 30 images are here, including many of the spectators, often just as
interesting as the sports folk. Where I could, I have identified the riders in
the captions:

http://www.greatpix.eu/La-Vuelta-in-Relleu/

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman