Re: [OM] For the Concorde Enthusiasts on the List

Subject: Re: [OM] For the Concorde Enthusiasts on the List
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2016 06:57:08 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     It was sad the day that Concorde operations were ended.  Even though it
was costly to operate and had a number of problems, it was a significant
advance in commercial air travel.  I had a few encounters with Concorde back
when I was flying, and they are not to be forgotten.

     I'm waiting patiently for the first commercial canard planform.  Boeing
had proposed it in the early stages of what became the 777, and it was very
disappointing when they dropped the idea.  The Beechcraft Starship was a worthy
effort, but they ruined the fuel efficiency by using a barn door nose instead
of fully streamlining it for lower drag. The last time I saw one of those was
down at Marana Airpark where a number of them were parked minus the engines.

     New, radical designs are always a risky venture.  The Soviets built the
Tu144 and crashed one at Orly while demonstrating low speed capabilities
against Concorde.  Boeing never made a prototype of their swing-wing design.

>I received this link in a news letter this morning.  I believe we have
>some Concorde enthusiasts  on the List.
>
>https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2016/09/14/auction-concorde-parts-taking-place-november-toulouse-france/

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson