Re: [OM] Thursday hike - PS--GM5

Subject: Re: [OM] Thursday hike - PS--GM5
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2016 22:54:46 -0400
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
NEW Panny 14-140 =>

 * Filter size = φ58mm
 * Dimensions = φ67 x 75mm / φ2.64 x 2.95in.
 * Weight = Approx. 265g / 9.35 oz.
 * Accessories = Lens cap, Lens hood, Lens rear cap, Lens storage bag

Always very much enjoy the Moose detailed analyses.  I would second the motion
that the GM-5 is quite the engineering feat with a ton of performance in a tiny
package.  It is a great horse cam,
but haven't needed it for that of late.  B&H doesn't seem to have it and
Adorama seems to have close out sale of sorts, but am not sure.  I had no clue
that Panny might be pulling the plug on the whole line.
Losing a stop of DR at SS>1/500 when must use total e-shutter and the very slow
 flash sync speed are a couple compromises.

The new 14-140 does look impressive for a 10X zoom--I think it has some weather
sealing.  The tiny  Panny 35-100 is a tad sharper centrally by the MTF data at
50mm, but that is no surprise.  The price is about 50% of the price at
introduction.  These expensive niche products seem to lose value faster than
other cams.

Mike