Re: [OM] Megapixels and definition or how many angels can dance on the h

Subject: Re: [OM] Megapixels and definition or how many angels can dance on the head of a pin
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 12:13:03 -0400
I just ignore the non-layers user.

Chuck Norcutt

On 9/22/2016 11:43 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
I certainly did mention the Creative Cloud monthly subscription for
Photoshop/Lightroom.

At this point, since he's effectively starting over, there are only
three options to even consider:

1. Adobe Creative Cloud. Highly recommended. While ACR isn't the best
raw converter around, you have infinite control to make it work
well--and it's the "standard". Kinda like the Shure SM-58 microphone
is the "standard". But the editing environment is bloody wonderful. In
the past 12 months, I think I've used layer-editing in Photoshop
twice. With very few exceptions, I do nearly all of my editing right
in Lightroom. Killer feature for me is the photo merge engine. As
others have mentioned, the print output engine is worth the price of
admission right there.

2. Capture One. Also highly recommended. It has a better raw converter
engine than ACR, but the editing environment isn't nearly as robust as
Lightroom, so you have to go into an editor more often. Picture Window
Pro remains my favorite editor withe Photoshop Elements being a
reasonable alternative.

3. SilkyPIX Developer Studio Pro 7 and Picture Window Pro or Photoshop
Elements. Honestly, I think that SilkyPIX really is the best raw
converter generally available. While Capture One does skin tones
slightly better, and Adobe just gets you there mostly, SilkyPIX is in
a league of its own for sharpness and tonal smoothness. The name
"SilkyPIX" implies "Silky". Well, that is not a misnomer. It's like
you increased the bit-depth by another half-dozen bits. The latest
version is, in feature set, about equivalent to Lightroom from two
years ago. Yet, there are adjustments in SilkyPIX that Adobe has no
clue how to do. At the current exchange rate, the full version is
about $220 USD. For flower and nature photography, there is no better
converter than SilkyPIX, in my opinion.

For Brian, I would just swallow the monthly rent and go with the Adobe
CC subscription. It's a total bargain, and you can always stay current
without having to fork over hundreds of dollars for upgrades. In fact,
if you compare a CC subscription to the old licensing model, the CC
subscription costs much less over time.

At this stage of my photographic life, Adobe CC is nearly perfect for
me, but it wouldn't take me too much convincing, if I was going almost
exclusively to nature/landscape/fine-art photography, to center my
world around SilkyPIX/PWP, but the difference between that combo and
Adobe CC is like having to drive with a stick shift all the time vs.
being able to slap it into "D" and cranking the stereo and
air-conditioning up. Adobe has done a good job of adding highly usable
features that make for high productivity.

AG Schnozz