Re: [OM] Olympus E-M1 II Review: Preview

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus E-M1 II Review: Preview
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 21:22:01 -0700
. . .   The sensor is only 12+% more linear resolution than the E-M1.  I don't
recall much trouble with moiré and false color artifacts with it nor present in
the Moose roll-over illustration, so perhaps little to worry about.
Time will tell.

The roll-overs I posted were the 16 MP sensor. The Pen-F was of so little interest to me that I sort of forgot about it. However, it has a 20 MP sensor and no AA filter, so is probably a good surrogate for the E-M1 II.

DPR has published a review, with their regular studio test shots. In this case, the 12% in crease in res is visible @ 100%, although I rather doubt anyone here will ever see a difference in any other format/medium.

Pretty much the same sort of thing is true of moiré and false color artifacts. At 100%, there is a little more moiré, but I doubt it will ever be visible in normal use.

I think there's indeed little or nothing to worry about in that regard.

I wonder how it follows focus with video?

The E-M5 II hasn't impressed me in that. Ten again, I don't really know what
I'm doing.

The new Canyon certainly was impressively good in that capacity.  Oly seems to
use the hybrid IS with the lenses responsible for some IS where that is optimal.

This video shows how it works. <http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/lenses/pen-omd/fixed-focal-lengths/m-zuiko-ed-300mm-f4-0-is-pro.html> Pretty impressive looking, with pitch & yaw in lens and camera augmenting each other. 300/4 is the first lens to have it. A firmware update set the later OM-Ds to do the sync thing.

Panny has something similar sounding with their OIS lenses on the GX8. Reading between the inexplicit lines, it seems that the two systems are not compatible. Certainly with the PLeica 100-400 on E-M5 II it's one or the other. OTOH, they both work very well.

I wonder if the  Oly 12-100 has any IS on Panny bodies?

I'm sure it does. That simple level seems to be compatible. It's the synced/cooperative systems that seem to be incompatible. At that size, it's the lens you hold, and holds the body. Even with a Godzilla grip on a body, the leverage is too great to hold the two by the body when shooting. So it would be the same on a teensy GM1; might look funny, but functionally fine.

It does seem a bit large on the E-M5II.

Depends on what you compare it to. :-) <http://j.mp/2cHrYLW>  I've been using
the 100-400 regularly on an E-M6 II.

More questions than answers

If that reverses, you're in trouble. ;-)

S. I. S. Moose