Re: [OM] Help/Advice needed.

Subject: Re: [OM] Help/Advice needed.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 13:58:32 -0700
On 9/23/2016 12:58 PM, JOHN DUGGAN wrote:
Using the viewfinder it is impossible to scroll screens to reset or do anything
else !!  All arrows do is change focus point.

You don't say whether you tried the Fn3 button.

Taken battery out and replaced with freshly charged.

That doesn't really change anything. There's an internal battery/capacitor that keeps the clock going, maintains settings memory, etc. The only way I know to completely reboot without having a functioning screen is to take the battery out and leave it out for days. Eventually, the internal B-U runs down and the next start is a full restart. I don't know how long it takes.

Recharging the B-U is slow, taking at least hours, so you can put the battery in briefly every so often to check, until the date/time are lost.

Looked on Olympus site and it specifically says that any camera imported
through 'unoffical channels' will not be supported by warranty. BUGGER. looking
on the web MANY complaints of screens dying. So known faults will NOT be
covered.

They would be covered, had you bought one at the price that included a UK warranty. If you bought a full international model, it should have included an International Warranty card. You would then be covered in the "rest of the world". So, anyone who purchased a camera in the correct version for where they live is covered. It's only those, like you, and occasionally me, who try to beat the system, who don't have a warranty. I believe this is the way all the majors do it. It seems fair to me.

Let the BUYER beware!!!

You didn't know this going in? You gambled, and may have lost.

Did you get the international warranty card with the camera? It's included in the box by Oly for cameras intended for sale 'elsewhere'. If so, a trip to anyplace without local warranty and with service facility might work. Perhaps you don't have to take the trip, if you can ship to friend/family.

In one case, I bought one from China where the seller promised to hold the intl warranty card and get it fixed there if it failed and I shipped it back. I didn't have much faith, but the camera has outlived the warranty anyway.