Re: [OM] Olympus E-M1 II Review: Preview

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus E-M1 II Review: Preview
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 16:49:52 -0700
Thanks Moose and Dharma.

I did like the video about the hybrid IS--curiously vastly different than the
hybrid FF Sony IS--x,y planes performed in lens  only and the lens MUST report
the focusing distance for it to work.  There is no app to enable one to do this
manually
when using an alt lens so only get 3 axis IS--X,Y stabilization especially
imp't in macro.

Then again, I get no IS at all on the A7, or in the manual lenses I use with
it. :-)

Sony would not give Techart company any help with either.  They wanted to have
5 axis stabilization with their autofocus adapter but had trouble reverse
engineering the protocols.
Sony helped them to a degree but only so far.  Odd, really.

Probably not odd, in a corporate context. Somebody found out what somebody else was doing, and stopped it ('cause they could, it was actually against some policy, or they wanted to do it themselves), management change in that area, the lawyers found out, whatever.

The IS  with the Oly MFT cams seems many stops more effective than FF Sony
anyway--smaller sensor likely easier to stabilize.

Assuming roughly the same thickness/density, you have about four times the weight to throw around. Larger distances to throw it, too both because of the 3:2 format and 'cause, for the same image size relative to the frame, the image on the FF sensor is larger.

And, of course, Oly's been doing it a long time and experience does count in
engineering.

IS worked with quite dramatic movements in that video.

Way cool! Enough reason to get a lens with it? ;-)

Neat O. Moose