Re: [OM] Megapixels and definition or how many angels can dance on the h

Subject: Re: [OM] Megapixels and definition or how many angels can dance on the head of a pin
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 08:34:30 -0400
I had never heard of it and decided to give it a try.

I downloaded and installed both Lightbox (free) and Sagelight Pro (30-day trial version)

I thought Lightbox "free" was sort of a bad joke. When you review the feature list you find that most of the features are only in the pay version which costs $20, not the free version. But I noted that it did do raw file conversion so gave it a try. Raw conversion is pretty much a nightmare. It apparently has no camera profiles and you start off with a a very dark and low contrast image where you must first adjust the gamma which still leaves something that doesn't look like the JPEG of the photo you took... it still requires lots more work and then you go to the second stage editor for more work. I found it confusing and far too much work. When you load a raw file in ACR what you see looks like the JPEG image from your camera and all other controls are very intuitive by name.

So I decided to move on to Sagelight Pro. When I installed it I was surprised to see that this 64-bit program wanted to install in "Program Files (x86)" which is for 32-bit programs. But you can change the installation directory so I changed it to "Program Files". After starting up and pressing a button to load a file I was greeted with "The trial period has expired" and I couldn't do anything except display a help file.

I thought there must have been some installation error possibly caused by my changing the installation directory. So then came the next surprise. When I tried to uninstall it I got an uninstall error and had to try again to remove it. Then I reinstalled the same file and allowed it to go to "Program Files (x86). That resulted in a Windows installation and compatibility warning. I ignored it and tried to run it again. Same thing... trial period expired.

Then I thought maybe there had been download data corruption so I cleaned out the browser's cache and downloaded again. Then I installed again in "Program Files" and ended up with the same "Trial period expired" message. Then when I tried to uninstall it I got some bizarre pop-up message that it was building a list of some tens of thousands of files to be deleted from my C: drive. After some brief panic I closed that pop-up which resulted in a Windows message that uninstall had not completed successfully. I ran uninstall again which gave no more drama except that nothing appeared to happen. I tried it again and was greeted by a Windows message that said it appears the program has already been uninstalled, do you want to remove the name. Yes, I did.

I hope you haven't also experienced such excitement and frustration. Leave Sagelight and Lightbox alone.

Chuck Norcutt