Re: [OM] Megapixels and definition or how many angels can dance on the h

Subject: Re: [OM] Megapixels and definition or how many angels can dance on the head of a pin
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 15:43:01 -0500
Layered Moose wrote:
> LR occasional user and disliker since before version one, when it had a
> different name, before Adobe bought it.

I've been a huge fan of it, except for about a year or so in the
Version 2 stage, where Adobe's Lightroom train got sent off the
performance rails into a ravine. In Version 3, they fixed some of the
performance issues and now it's as fast as I can reasonably expect a
program like this to be.

The biggest problem with Lightroom is the mode switching between
Library and Develop. Some stuff you have to do in Library, some stuff
in Develop. That is about the most convoluted aspect to the program.
In library, the "choose best" feature is not as good as Olympus
Studio, which is actually extremely good. In fact, even SilkyPIX does
"choose best" (compare 2 or 4 at a time so you can choose best image)
better than Lightroom.

Where Lightroom is absolutely the best program for me, at this time,
is for handling images from multiple cameras and for multiple outputs.
I rarely do a "stand alone" picture. Everything is part of a set.
Because of that, being able to tweek, and tune anywhere from 2 to 2000
images in seconds is a killer feature. There is no
opening/edit/save/close aspect to Lightroom image editing. You just do
it and move on to the next image.

However, when it comes to editing, I'm able to do nearly everything
right in Lightroom. The notable exceptions would have to do with
advanced Content Aware editing.

The pre-Lightroom program was called RawShooter. I still have a copy
of RSE (RawShooter Essentials) on my computer that I use once in a
while for Minolta A1 files.

SilkyPIX has come a long way. We can trash talk it, but the program
actually is quite excellent and from a performance perspective isn't
bad at all. You can do much of the editing that you can do in
Lightroom, but the colors and contrasts are just so much better. If I
wasn't using Lightroom, I'd probably use SilkyPIX for my main image
management and processing environment. The latest version of SilkyPIX
has addressed the one HUGE complaint. It didn't handle images from
multiple cameras or mixed JPEG/TIFF/RAW well at all. Now it does. Just
like Lightroom, you can mix and match multiple file types seamlessly.

AG Schnozz