Re: [OM] Megapixels and definition or how many angels can dance on the h

Subject: Re: [OM] Megapixels and definition or how many angels can dance on the head of a pin
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 18:36:41 -0400
I think you are too easily swayed. He's shooting with a 36 MP $2,800 Nikon full frame with no anti-alias filter. The lens is certainly very good and it ought to be for $4,500. But I don't see the "stunning detail" in his shots. I think most of what you're responding to is color and contrast. With the exception of a couple of 100% crops the images he's posted are mostly about 800x530... or 0.4 megapixels. That's only 2.5 % of what your own camera is capable of.

I you're going to envy anything envy the process... always on a tripod and heavily Photoshopped. Yours would look just as good if you did the same.

And I had to chuckle a little bit when I saw the comments about this photo: <https://www.flickr.com/photos/mingthein/14790666877> He says: "Tree and mountain – shot wide open at f1.4, the stars are slightly blurred because the plane of focus is the tree." He apparently knows nothing of astronomy since he has blamed the elongated star trails on the stars being out of focus since the tree was the focus point. In fact the star trails are the product of a long exposure and rotation of the earth. I guesstimate a 20-30 second exposure.

If you follow the process recommendations that Moose has given you you can do just as well with what you have. And if you have need of even more pixels building a pano with multiple shots at a longer focal length is the way to go.

Chuck Norcutt