Re: [OM] Monarch--take 1 (on topic)

Subject: Re: [OM] Monarch--take 1 (on topic)
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 10:15:23 -0500
> Precious few Monarchs this year noted in our flutterby counts with NABA.
> What was nearly taken for granted a few years ago has become a special
> event.    Marnie spotted a few nice beasties early one AM and told me to
> grab a b'fly kit.  I was going to save the rest of the Ektar  for upcoming
> Moose visit,

The Schnozz's scanner is ready and waiting for round two.

> Color really that muted in person?

Are you referring to the Ektar scan pictures? I think that a totally
custom, higher quality, film profile might has tweaked a little more
color out of them. I still have the raw VUESCAN file available for
remapping into a different profile.

The problem that we've run into with Ektar is the propensity of the
film to clip some colors too easily. There isn't anything you can do
about it with a film profile when the data just isn't there on the
film in the first place. Instead of Ektar, I much prefer using Portra,
as it preserves color and dynamic range better and allows you to crank
the volume up in post.

AG