Re: [OM] Megapixels and definition or how many angels can dance on the h

Subject: Re: [OM] Megapixels and definition or how many angels can dance on the head of a pin
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 13:56:01 -0400
Food for thought.  How many 40x60" prints do you intend to make?

Chuck Norcutt

On 9/26/2016 1:06 PM, bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Chuck wrote about the Zeiss Otus lens ...

I think you are too
easily swayed. He's shooting with a 36 MP $2,800
Nikon full frame with
no anti-alias filter. The lens is certainly very
good and it ought to
be for $4,500. But I don't see the "stunning
detail" in his shots. I
think most of what you're responding to is color
and contrast. With the
exception of a couple of 100% crops the images
he's posted are mostly
about 800x530... or 0.4 megapixels. That's only
2.5 % of what your own
camera is capable of.
I had never heard of them
until I encountered them during a search for something else.
A pity they
are not in any Olympus fitting (and I don't know if any attachment for
Canyon or Nykon-fit lenses exists to enable fitting to any Olympus
format exists).
Anyway they are apparently the sharpest (by a country
mile) lenses available, and while I agree that the $4,000 price is
something of a mouthful, remember that only 10 - 15 years ago that was
the price level for the Zuiko 35-80/2.8 lens. Two tests
here.

http://petapixel.com/2015/06/04/review-the-zeiss-otus-85mm-f1-4-is-a-stellar-prime-lens-for-portraits/

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/3211770916/lens-reviews-update-test-data-for-the-zeiss-otus-1-4-55

Brian