Re: [OM] 2x2 glass slides

Subject: Re: [OM] 2x2 glass slides
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 14:54:52 -0400
I've never seen a glass mounted slide and should have educated myself a bit more before replying about use on a scanner. Glass mounts are still available today (if you really want them) but what's available today is only the 3mm thick version. It used to be that 2mm was available.

Anyhow I decided to check my Epson 700's slide holder and see that it *might* hold 3mm thick slides. A stack of 3 Kodachrome slides is 3.5mm thick and it *almost* fits. Removing 0.5mm just might do it.

Although I said I've never seen glass mounted slides I actually had a box of Gepe glass mounts that had been kicking around the house for years. I don't know where they came from or why I had them. I don't know how thick they were (probably 3mm) but I went looking for them to check the Epson's slide holder. When I couldn't find them where I expected them to be I suddenly realized that I had trashed them about 2 weeks ago. Isn't that too often true? You have something for years and years and have no use for it. Throw it out and like magic the need appears. :-) I think it was a box of 50. I see at B&H that they range in price from about 50-95 cents/each depending on quantity. Too bad.

ps: If you're going to put 3mm glass slides into a Kodak Carousel projector (maybe to shoot off the wall) you can only use the 80 slide trays. 3mm is too thick for the the 140 slide trays.

Chuck Norcutt