[OM] Speaking of SilkyPIX

Subject: [OM] Speaking of SilkyPIX
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 09:00:18 -0500
They are running a sale right now. 20% off the normal price of Pro7.
That brings it down to about $180 USD. Free trial to check it out.

My guess is that for those with an open mind and a reasonably fast
computer will really like it. It will certainly illustrate just how
second-rate the ACR engine can be.

In the professional audio world, we have gone nearly 100% with digital
mixers. The functionality, flexibility and low noise-floor have
revolutionized the art and the task of mixing audio. That is the
equivalent to Lightroom and Photoshop. But even though we may have
spent a huge fortune on the latest/greatest digital mixer and
computer-based audio editor with every wiz-bang capability, we still
get all anal about the mic pre-amps and A-D converters. I have used
multi-million dollar mixers that were still front-ended with external
mic pre's from the engineer's personal stash of hot-rodded
electronics.

The raw converter is just like that. The raw converter is the
photography equivalent to the mic pre-amp and A-D converter. It only
makes sense that some companies have better ones than others. The
Adobe CC suite is very very good, in most ways, but the one weakness
is in the raw converter. Products, like SilkyPIX and Capture One, have
superior raw converters, but inferior working environments.

AG