Re: [OM] Two cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] Two cameras
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 12:49:25 -0700
On 9/27/2016 5:01 PM, bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Chuck wrote;
See the discussion of "anti-shock" setting on page 89
of the EM-5 user's manual. .

Thanks Chuck; I just checked ... what a mission to find the setting on the
camera.

It was and is set to OFF.

Go, NOW, set it to ON and delay of 1/8 second. You are now throwing away lots of image sharpness at speeds between about 1/60 and 1/320 sec, depending on lens.

ALL µ4/3 camera bodies, Panny and Oly, suffer from what's called Shutter Shock when used with their mechanical shutters. Panny has never acknowledged it nor done anything about it until very recent models with electronic first curtains.

Oly never acknowledged it publicly, but did so tacitly, right from the beginning, with the E-P1, by modifying the Anti-Shock setting to include very short delays. They put in in, but never referred to it for this purpose. I didn't know this (hardly anybody did) when I bought my E-M5, and was puzzled (and a bit upset) with results from my first major photo trip.Then I found out, set the 1/8 sec. delay, and all was well.

The problem is that both curtains are open whenever it isn't taking a shot. To take a shot, the fist curtain has to close, the sensor be electronically reset, then the FC opens again. The FC crashing closed causes vibration that causes motion blur in the image. A brief delay between FC closing and opening lets the vibration die down.

IBIS does NOT help.

I was of the opinion that the 1/8 second delay was occasionally not quite a enough @ 300 mm and some combination of shutter speed and subject distance, but never pinned it down. And you aren't using any lenses near that long.

After the E-M5, all OM-D bodies have included an Electronic First Curtain
option, which completely solves the problem.

Vibration Free Moose