Re: [OM] Speaking of SilkyPIX

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of SilkyPIX
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 09:19:46 -0500
> Perhaps you could rank those you know reasonably well, for us naifs.
> Like Chris, I find the SilkyPix UI baffling.

I'll just rank the three I've used a fair-bit that I give a rip about.
This ranking is my opinion on color fidelity, detail, noise control,
dynamic range and overall pleasantness of the photos BEFORE extensive
one-off adjustments. In other words, the ability to get the photo
mostly there prior to editing. For example, I put Lightroom dead-last
when it comes to portraiture, because you have a choice of great skin
tones and lousy image colors or great image colors and horrid skin
tones. Capture One nails skin tones and image color all at once.
SilkyPix is in between--depending on which film profile you select.
And that's really one of the unique strengths of SilkyPix in that the
film profiles actually work and work well. SilkyPix gives you several
different type of sharpness and detail recovery whereas Lightroom
gives you one and a half. Prior to ACR 2012, I really disliked Adobe
for all skintones, but since the 2012 upgrade, it is certainly
acceptable most of the time.

General Photography, IE, the 90% Rule:
1. Lightroom.
2. Capture One
3. SilkyPix

Portraiture Photography:
1. Capture One
2. SilkyPix
3. Lightroom

Landscape Photography:
1. SilkyPix
2. Capture One
3. Lightroom

I don't understand all the hate for the SilkyPix UI. It is a little
different, but not bad. You can tell that it was written by people who
spent massive amounts of time in very expensive darkrooms. For a
darkroom junky like me, it's great. This is compared to Lightroom,
which was designed by software geeks who have no clue how things were
done for generations.

AG