Re: [OM] Strange occurrence with SD card

Subject: Re: [OM] Strange occurrence with SD card
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2016 21:28:17 -0400
It may be helpful to know the that the computer has 2 forms of formatting. There is "Quick format" which only clears all the directory entries. All the file data is still there but with no descriptive info available. That is much different than a "Full format" which will write and read back test data to every sector in the disk. In the process it will destroy all of the folder entries and all file data and make the disk appear as new... totally empty and also checked over to see that there is write/read integrity. Full format takes considerable time.

The camera, on the other hand, only knows how to do a Quick format. But even there it differs from the computer's Quick format in that the camera doesn't leave a totally empty directory... it adds a few folders with unique names that it knows about which later lets the camera recognize the card as one of its own.

There is no justification for erasing in the computer and then formatting in the camera. Erasing everything in the computer is the equivalent of a Quick format but more tedious. But if you do format in the computer (either Full or Quick) the camera will reformat the card as soon as you install it since the computer will not have added the unique folders the camera requires.

I recommend following Jez's procedure. I never delete individual files from the card either in camera or in computer. Too much work going on following chains of pointers that increase the odds of an error. I temporarily retire cards that have had everything uploaded. They sit in a queue until at least one other backup is made. At the point they get formatted in-camera.

Chuck Norcutt