Re: [OM] OT: Web site host

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Web site host
From: Marc Lawrence <ozlangur@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 18:54:38 +1100
On 3 October 2016 at 18:18, Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So, might I ask for recommendations for a Web host?  And what are opinions
> about using gmail vs. getting an address tied to my domain? Some of the Web
> providers include a couple of email addresses in their packages.

I'm no tech, I'm just a dumber that has a couple of domains.

I use Dreamhost for my domains. To be honest, I don't know if there's
better, I've used them for years, they seem pretty professional and
communicative at what they do, pretty stable, enable lots of good stuff for
free or cheap (free security certificates, free domain entry privacy, free
software installs for packages like Wordpress, low-cost website malware
checker) and your interests seem to be at their heart (I'm not saying
there's nobility in this, I'm just saying they seem to know which side
their bread is buttered).  Their web panel makes a lot of things easy, be
it account management, domain management, installs, etc. (though
"one-click" install might be a smidge of an exaggeration). I like them, but
I fall to others' opinions due to my limited data set of experience (one).

Saying all that, even though I have email addresses on my domains I have
only ever, for many years, used Gmail for pretty much everything,
everywhere, across social media, account logins, lists... everywhere. If
scraping email addresses from places was a thing for spammers (though I
suspect that's old-school now) then my Gmail address is probably the most
accessible too. But I get more spam on my own domains' email addresses that
I *don't* use than I ever do at Gmail, which tells me their spam filters
work way better than my domain's. If I could (relatively) cheaply host my
domains' email addresses at Gmail I would do it (I can, I'm just being
stingy at paying for the privilege). So, from a spam perspective I like
Gmail. Also, from a list-administration perspective (I'm a "listowner" of a
dog breed-specific list), of all the major, free email hosts, Google/Gmail
is less likely (i.e. they never have) to suddenly ban all email from a
subscriber-only list mail server due to thinking it "spam" than others (I'm
looking at you, AOL, Yahoo, Hotmail/Outlook ~shakes fist~). I use mail apps
on devices (iPad and iPhone), but I use GMail's web front end on my
computers (I don't like any computer mail clients, including Apple's).

As for the tracking/targetted advertising thing, I don't know as I  tend to
not know or care one way or the other - I'm not dismissing your concerns,
and understand them, I'm just saying that it's not a concern I personally
can provide much input on, beyond adblockers like uBlock and
tracker-blockers like Ghostery (others will probably have better
recommendations or anti-recommendations).

tl;dr: Dreamhost for hosting, Gmail for mail. For me anyway.

Cheers,
Marc
Ingebirah, Oz