[OM] Adelaide Weather :Was Re: Windows 10 Annoyance

Subject: [OM] Adelaide Weather :Was Re: Windows 10 Annoyance
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 15:31:23 +1030
On Mon, Oct 03, 2016 at 04:02:35PM +1100, Wayne Harridge wrote:
> How did you go with the storms, wind, rain, etc.  David ?
>
> ...Wayne

Hi Wayne,

So far, from our own perspective it's only been a very minor
incovenience, not so for many in the outer suburbs and in the country.

Last Wednesday (as per the article you linked), the power went out at
3:45pm for pretty much all of South Australia, and gradually came back
through the night (10:00pm for us), though many parts of the state are
still out. I had some UPS charge left so was able to plug in a TV to
catch the ABC news and keep up with what was happening. We have gas for
heat/cooking at home so things went on pretty much as normal for us,
albeit by candlelight :) Interestingly, the local cell towers ran out of
battery after 2 hours.

The weather last Wednesday through Friday was a bit wild, Saturday was
beautiful, but the last couple of days have produced a lot of wind &
rain again.  Lots of tree branches down all over the place. It's been
blustery here, but not too ferocious (we're 24km north of the Adelaide
CBD).

The Mt Lofty Ranges got quite a bit of rain Wednesday through Friday,
and some of the rivers broke their banks in places. By Saturday the
flows had reached the plains and there is some localised flooding.

Locally, Highway 1 around Virginia (8 kms north of me) is flooded, I
grew up out this way, and I haven't seen that happen in over 20 years
(that area is still mainly market gardens).

Things are starting to ease, with a high of 27C predicted for Thursday!

Lots of the "manufactured" wetlands around here that normally don't have
much water in them, even in winter, are full!!! Will have to take a walk
snd see if I can capture some of the waterbirds now that Daylight Saving
time has started.

davidt