Re: [OM] One year after a fire

Subject: Re: [OM] One year after a fire
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2016 15:36:33 +1300

Jim asked
That's good to see, Brian. One doesn't see many 2x6
studded outside walls around here. That looks nice and solid.

Will
they fill those with insulation?

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN
US
''''''''''''''''''''
The standard size here is 2x4. I specified 2x6
(90 x 40 mm) because I wanted thicker insulation in the walls.
Insulation is mandatory under the nation's building code.
Where I live
we have more severe winters than most. I also specified triple glazing,
argon-filled with low-E glass for the same reason. We will have thicker
ceiling insulation as well.
All the amendments / improvements to the
house will cost us about $70,000 NZ dollars more, but since Maggie is
prone to getting pneumonia, I want to keep her as warm as
possible.

Yes, one impression is definitely that the house should be
able to laugh off anything earthquakes might offer.

CAD design has
wrought great changes to house design and construction. The walls all
came pre-cut and assembled from a factory. All that remained to be done
by the skilled chippies ( as we call carpenters here) was to carefully
fit it all together. And due to the precision of the CAD that was not to
hard.
The timber is something else as well. Each 2x6 is constructed of
eleven glued veneer layers making a laminated stud / whatever.
Tus there
will be great savings and better structural outcomes. The timber is
already kiln-dried to a suitable moisture content which it will keep
even if rained upon. The studs will not bend, bow or twist. Thus the
walls should all be true and flat, saving a LOT of time compared with
conventional sawn studs, when it comes to fitting dry-wall.

Cheers,
Brian