Re: [OM] One year after a fire

Subject: Re: [OM] One year after a fire
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2016 15:59:58 +1300

Mike asked

Looking good Brian!

Two by six studs outside walls are
common where more insulation is desirable

 It is the minimum here for
R21. A few houses go thicker to accommodate higher R value or add rigid
insulation or sprayed-in. And that looks like engineered wood? Is it
sized to metric? Also notice more use of framing members than we do. The
reason being that wood has a lower R value so transmits more heat. Less
is more efficient both in material and future heating cost. Are you
going to use vertical siding?
I had
enough of a battle to get agreement to 6x2 without going bigger; and to
get triple glazing agreed to was even more of a battle. I had to do all
the leg-work (computer searches and talking) but finally got there. The
extra cost will be covered by surpluses from contents insurance that
will not be spent on replacing EVERYTHING that was burned.

Vertical
siding or not? I'm not quite sure what you mean Mike. There will be
brick cladding as we call it, for the bottom story, and douglas-fir
shiplap for the top story just as the original house was. The major
misgiving I have about this part is that I wish I had stuck to my guns
over re-use of the original bricks/blocks from the old house.
That
pattern is not made any more. With the exception of fire clay bricks
from a place near Darfield (Canterbury), ALL house bricks are now
imported across the Tasman sea, from Australia.
I did take down and
clean about 25% of the old bricks from the burned house. By rough count
there were about only 1600 of them They were big bricks and we really
liked the look of them. Our insurance people can up with all sorts of
reasons why we should not; fire damaged (they were not, as all the heat
went UP), not from a guaranteed source, the brickies wouldn't know how
to lay them now, there could be no guarantee given on their performance
and this would affect house resale value ...
Hindsight is a great
thing. I don't believe any of these objections amounted to a tinker's
cuss. When it comes to resale, people will like ot for the looks and
design and buy accordingly.

It's too late now. Most of the bricks are
now in landfill.

Cheers, Brian