Re: [OM] Credit Card Fraud

Subject: Re: [OM] Credit Card Fraud
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2016 15:24:42 +1030
On Sat, Oct 08, 2016 at 07:13:34AM -0700, Chris Trask wrote:
> I had heard from a number of retailers some time ago that AmEx is very
> slow in making payments to retailers, so they are reluctant to accept
> them.

I suspect the business models are different depending on the target
marketplace.  Down Under, it's typical for a cardholder to be
responsible for charges up until their card is reported missing, and in
the case  is usually a delay while fradulent charges are investigated by
law enforcement.

Signature verification is no longer used, and 'chipped' cards are the
norm. The chipped cards will allow a no-PIN transaction of up to $35 if
the card is inserted in the terminal chip reader, or up to $100 if
'PayWave' (using near field communication techniques) is used. Above
those limits, the user's PIN is required.

It is most excellent that the dodgy transactions were detected quickly
and Tina wasn't stuck with the expense.

davidt