Re: [OM] Aurora Borealis over Lake Superior

Subject: Re: [OM] Aurora Borealis over Lake Superior
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2016 14:09:06 -0500
Thanks for the complements, everybody.

I'll try to address the various questions and comments. If I miss one,
consider it political spin.

1. Colors in the sky. Unless you are immediately under a major show,
chances are you either won't see the colors or they will be pretty
faint. The human vision system is generally unable to discern colors
as part of our night vision. It's the old Rod vs. Cone thing. Film and
Digital imaging is able to capture the colors that the human eye isn't
able to see. For most of us, Auroras look pale and monochromatic with
just a hint of coloring, if at all. I've been working on capturing the
lights for the past 10 years now, with varying degrees of limited
success. Until now, I've never had a camera that could do it justice.
The 6D is a very good camera for the task. It was just a matter of
getting it done. I had kept my eye on the conditions and knew that the
moon phase would be favorable for this location, in which I've seen
and photographed them many times before. But the results were NEVER
shareable. I'm too vain for that.

2. Sharp stars and coma. The OMZ 24/2.8 is a spectacular lens when
stopped down to F5.6 or F8. Wide open, on film, it's still pretty
good. But on digital full-frame? Not without a decent lens profile to
correct everything. I can correct some of that coma, but you may also
be detecting star motion too. 20-30 seconds is about the limit.

3. I had sent a sample photo to Bill Barber and Moose of the first
picture in the set. It had the best light display, but because the
lens was wide-open, there were multiple issues with it. This one was
the third picture. I tried saving the first shot, but it just isn't
working well because of the technical faults.

4. All processing was done in Lightroom. 100% of it. Photoshop would
have also worked fine for the task, but I can make Lightroom dance
pretty good now, so I just use it for everything I can and jump into
Photoshop or Picture Window Pro if I get stumped.

5. How much processing? The pixels are in pain.

I'm now up to two BIG print sales of it and I'm not even done editing.
While I do have other wonderful shots from this trip, it might be
possible to pay for it with this picture.

AG Schnozz