Re: [OM] Recent activity notes, some OT

Subject: Re: [OM] Recent activity notes, some OT
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 14:49:47 -0400
There's nothing wrong with your E-M5 except, perhaps, operator error. Mirrorless cameras have a lot more function than DSLRs and it's necessary to know and understand the E-M5's capabilities.

When using MF lenses, you should place the camera in aperture preferred mode (A). When you do you will find that the EVF will change brightness when you change ISO, aperture or shutter speed. Far from being "dim" it should appear as a properly exposed image *WHEN THE EXPOSURE IS CORRECT AS PER THE CAMERA'S SETTINGS*.

For example, let's say a proper exposure for a given subject is ISO 200 at 1/800th second and f/8. With the camera at these settings and when viewing the subject the EVF or screen should show a relatively bright image representing what the actual exposure will look like. If we then change the aperture to f/16 the brightness of the EVF should drop by 2 stops indicating underexposure. If we then correct the shutter speed and increase it from 1/800th to 1/200th the screen should rebrighten and once again indicate proper exposure. You should also see the exposure compensation number change to 0 and also see a well formed histogram if the histogram is turned on in the EVF.

As to using IBIS with MF lenses there are 2 different cases.
If the camera is on a tripod then IBIS should be turned off no matter whether a MF or AF lens is in use. If the camera is not on a tripod then IBIS should be turned on. However, the longer the lens the greater the disturbance due to shakiness. Since the camera can't read the FL of an MF lens, to compensate you need to tell the camera the focal length of the MF lens. See page 49 of the owner's manual.

If I were attempting to do what you're trying to do (use the Zuiko 200/4 and 300/4.5) I would first start with a more modest lens such as a 50mm. Using large and heavy lenses before you're fully familiar with the operation of the camera with MF lenses just makes your initial learning job much more difficult. Also, I wouldn't *test* these long lenses at 1 km. 1 km is certainly a reasonable distance for use of a 200-300mm lens but the possibility of air turbulence and haze over such a long distance makes judging the results difficult. Judge the lens bad if it can't make a decent image at 50 meters while setting on a tripod with IBIS off but not until.

Finally, you need to learn to use the magnify function to enhance your MF efforts. This is not to be confused with "MF assist" using M.Zuiko AF lenses. MF Assist can be turned on by turning the MF focusing collar on an AF lens. But magnify is a related function which is turned on by pressing whatever button the function is assigned to. I can't tell you what it is but you should see the user's manual, page 93 and section at the bottom labeled "Button Function". Press Menu -> Gears -> Button/Dial/Lever -> Button Function and check to see which button is associated with the magnify function (magnifying glass). While there you can change it to something else if you prefer. "Press the button once to display the zoom frame, again to
zoom in. Keep the button pressed to cancel zoom."

Chuck Norcutt