Re: [OM] Adapter on A7

Subject: Re: [OM] Adapter on A7
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 19:51:21 -0400
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
I always enjoy Piers's posts--usually spot on correct or if not, usually like
his answer better anyway.   Wayne and Dr. Sensor, AKA engineer AG, make good
points.   The closer the exit pupil and wider--means more trouble for lenses
built for film.  Especially true
for WA RF lenses for obvious reasons.  The microlenses in red dot SLR are
optimized so the film era lenses still work well and the sensor stack kept
quite thin.   The thickness of the stack itself is often a huge variable to
consider.  One can counteract it with the Kolari mod the the Sonny sensor and
one optics guru on FM can calculate the correct PCX lens used as a filter in
front to do the same.  Not sure I'd bother except for certain red dot WA lenses
though.  Curiously the A7RII is MUCH better with RF lenses than the A7R---BSI
may have something to do with it and no clue if they changed the microlenses.
The C/Y 35-70 at the wide end is only very subtly degraded in the corners on
the A7RII, so suspect the WA Zuikos are OK--have never seen a list of exit
pupil distances for them--perhaps a listee knows where that is?

I believe the 6D and OM A7RII have sensor stack thicknesss in the 2mm range
though optical properties may differ.  I would like to see a direct comparison
of WA OM Zuikos on each.   I suspect hey are both quite good with the Sony
version easier to use and image stabilized to boot. (Not to mention more
resolution and DR)

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/07/sensor-stack-thickness-part-iii-the-summary/

Gauntlet is thrown, Mike