Re: [OM] Bob Hoover Flew West

Subject: Re: [OM] Bob Hoover Flew West
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 14:47:11 -0500
Thanks for the note, Ken.  Yes, he was outstanding!

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 10/25/2016 2:32 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
The great Bob Hoover passed away at 94 years old.

I met him twice and watched his routine many times. He was a true
larger-than-life character who was the master of the understatement. A
humble, yet strangely intense man. He reminded me of a graceful swan
going across the water--perfectly still above the surface, but busy
underneath.

His airshow routine was sometimes "boring" to the non-pilot, but every
pilot was in awe of the aerial ballet that he did in an airplane that
was as far removed from a Pitts Special or F18 as you could get. The
concept of "critical engine" did not exist in his world.

I believe that Bob Hoover could "see" air. And he could probably fly a
bumble bee if he could fit in the seat.

Bob Hoover was a phenomenal teacher. He taught by words and by
example. He also taught the important aspect of "fly the d*mn
airplane" and don't give up. His legacy is the unknown. How do we ever
know how many lives were saved by the example and tutelage he provided
to pilots all over the world. There are many teachers who are pilots,
and many pilots who are teachers, but Bob Hoover was the master
pilot-teacher. The miracle of his air-show routine was illustrating,
in a tangible way, just what is possible when you don't panic and have
situational awareness. For this, he taught without words.

At an airshow, the joy for the audience is often times tied to the
noise level of the airplane engines screaming by. For the last portion
of a Hoover routine, the only noise you heard was the "woosh" of the
airplane passing by with the engines turned off and the props
feathered.

Thank you, Bob Hoover, for teaching me about flying.

AG