[OM] Zuikofest - Grand Tetons

Subject: [OM] Zuikofest - Grand Tetons
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2016 15:33:47 -0600
As previously mentioned, I've been scouting possible locations for
watching the eclipse. While the vast majority of people will be down
in the valley itself, I'm contemplating a couple of other locations.

1. Snake River Overlook. Obviously, this will be a major zoo, and it
is not perfectly dead-centered, but it is within the path of totality
(PoT). The major advantage to this location is the classic scenic
which will be doubly interesting with panoramic photographs as not all
the mountain range will be in the PoT. I would think that this should
be on the short list. Not an "original" location, of course, but I'd
imagine that Saint Adams would be there himself if he was still alive.

2. Up in the hills east-southeast of Kelly. Dead-centered on the PoT.
This is within the Gros Ventre Wilderness Area, so hiking is required,
but old jeep trails can be followed. Not a difficult hike, just
tedious. Moving uphill a little bit to the SE, is Sheep Mountain. Two
thousand foot elevation change, but completely open scenery opening up
the entire Tetons in one sweep. If all else were equal, this would be
my spot.

3. Blacktail Butte. The sound end of the butte is dead-centered on the
PoT. Excellent spot for panoramic photographs. Access is good, but I
expect it to be one of the busier spots. Fortunately, there are enough
places to plant tripods.

4. The Barn. Forget about it. You know that it's going to be stupidity there.

5. And for a change of pace, Henderson Peak, on the west side of the

I'm thinking that it's time to gift myself with a carbon-fiber tripod. :)

AG Schnozz