Re: [OM] Thoughts on Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] Thoughts on Computers
From: SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 07:21:52 +0100
I mainly use my 2011 17" macbook pro but it's also getting long in the tooth so I was really disappointed with the new macbook as I was hoping for a 16 or 17 inch with dcent graphics and the sd slot removal is slightly annoying, However I will remain with a laptop, the two main options non mac are dell XPS or the razer blade. The lack of ports on any of these though not as convenient can be solved by a single cable to a dock and the lack of graphics horespower can also be solved by an external graphics card.

external graphics - <https://www.akitio.com/products>

external dock - <https://www.owcdigital.com/products/thunderbolt/thunderbolt-3-dock-overview> - this is an example I believe it has some reliability issues but there are others

I still have a pretty fast desktop mac with 24 cores and 96GB ram but it sits in the office and I don't sit in there much - hence I use the laptop

While Ken rules out mac I rule out windows 10 and until lightroom runs on linux I am pretty well stuck in the apple eco system - maybe in six months they will produce the macbook I expected

IanW