[OM] Thoughts on Computers

Subject: [OM] Thoughts on Computers
From: Bob Benson <bob.benson91@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 09:49:03 -0600
I vote for laptop.

I have used Thinkpad (Lenovo) laptops (currently W520) for many years.  A
big W520 with 32 gigs really sings - LR with practically instantaneous
well.  USB3 connected 4 TB storage devices (barely) meet my needs, and are
pretty inexpensive.   I note that used W520s (or related like w530) are
pretty reasonable. BTW I bought this one used.  Windows 7 is sufficient
unto my needs.  If money is no object, I'd go for a big P70.

I value this for portability (it does matter for me,) inherent backup (I
can simply move my 4TB devices to another machine,) and for the system -
that is,  the platform is all integrated and I don't have to do anything
managing the various piece-parts.   Reliability has been excellent - even
after I've dropped the "portable" laptop a couple of times.

Bob

Only downside for me -- since I don't use RAID,  keeping backups synced -
while not difficult - does need to be done.

(PS:  another day of missing Chuck's inputs to these sorts of questions.)