Re: [OM] First Switzerland installment--one shot on topic

Subject: Re: [OM] First Switzerland installment--one shot on topic
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 21:01:08 -0800
On 11/13/2016 6:00 PM, John Hudson wrote:
Mike ..... thanks for that. I will be looking into the Geosetter you mention.

The best I have done so far is carry my Garmin GPSMap 64s device and take a reading for each photo I take if the location cannot be identified from memory or surrounding physical features.

Geosetter is not a thing, but a free piece of software.
<http://www.geosetter.de/en/>

The way I use it is to set the Garmin (foretrex 401) to make a track of my location as I move about. I use Garmin BaseCamp software to upload the track(s) from the device and export them as GPX files, a standard.

In Geosetter, I select the matching set of images and track. Geosetter matches the taken time from each image with the closest location in the track and writes the location to the image. I found the operation of BaseCamp obscure, but did figure it out. Geosetter has adjustments to deal with time zone differences, when I forget to reset the camera clock, and so on.

Once you get used to it, the whole process is painless and pretty quick.

That is essentially what Mike is doing, but with a different piece of hardware and the different software for outputting its tracks as GPX files. Then what he does in Geosetter is identical.

Your Garmin is more sensitive and accurate than the iGotU he is using, and that I used to use. It's also possible to do the whole thing with a smartphone, but the accuracy, esp. under tree cover, is less.

Where in the World was Moose