[OM] Shutter to think about the E-M1 Mk11?

Subject: [OM] Shutter to think about the E-M1 Mk11?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 21:31:04 -0800
On 11/12/2016 10:18 PM, Dharma Singh wrote:
Stinging Moose,

There's always a lot of discussion in general of what is exactly close-up
photography, macro photography and micro photography.

It's all Nikon's fault. ;-) They mislabeled their 55 mm macro lens as a "Micro Nikkor", back in the mists of time. I just finally sold mine recently.

Seems to me that the line between C-U and macro is 1:2, macro and micro is 1:1, or at least used to be, for 35 mm film. But even that is troublesome now. A 4/3 sensor @ 1:2 covers the same subject area as FF @ 1:1. If both are print/displayed at the same size and resolution, the subject will be be the same size.

I'm not going into that, but some are using the 40-150mm pro as a 'macro'
lens, because you can quite close to your object.

And that's where definitions get fuzzy. That lens goes to 1:4.8, so no, not macro, by traditional definition. But then, in use, it acts like a lens on FF that goes to 1:2.4, and that feels, in use, a lot like old MF macros.

And then, quite a few MF zooms claimed a Macro Mode, typically to 1:4, and the 40-150/2.8 would definitely feel like it gets closer than that.

Put an extension tube or a small + diopter achromat C-U lens on it, and it definitely goes macro. I've made some quite good macro shots with a few M.Z lenses using extension tubes. I know I used the 14-150, too, but it doesn't appear in my web gallery. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=4514>

I own a lot of macro lenses, OM, OM bellows, E-system, and now the two µ43
lenses.

50/3.5 (2), 135/4.5, 80/4 Auto, Tamron 90/2.5 (matching extender and 2x converter), Kiron 105/2.8, Auto Bellows (2), Telescopic Auto Tube 65-116. I've also had the OM 90/2, which was poor at actual macro magnifications, and the Tamron 90/2.8 AF, which was excellent, in EOS mount. And now the M.Z 60/2.8, and 12-50 in Macro Mode. I have to admit to my lazy habits; if the 12-50 gets close enough, the 60/2.8 doesn't come out, and the 12-50 gets over ten times the calls.

By the way and not in the least I like your photographs very much.

Thanks!