Re: [OM] First Switzerland installment--one shot on topic

Subject: Re: [OM] First Switzerland installment--one shot on topic
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 21:11:47 -0800
On 11/14/2016 2:17 PM, Ken Norton wrote:

The GPS feature in the Canon 6D definitely creates a draw on the
battery, but remarkably little. The only thing that I wish Canon would
do is add a setting that allows the GPS to not update will the camera
is asleep. There are times when I want the positional information
updated even when asleep and other times when I'm happy with it just
getting itself updated when I'm shooting. But even at that, it isn't
that big of a deal, so far. Normally, I have it off, but when I'm out
and about, I turn it on.

The problem I ran into with lesser cameras is that I couldn't turn the camera on, take a shot or three, turn it off, and have them geocoded. so it was either leave the camera on (in one case, just GPS) whenever out and about, and kill the battery, or wait many seconds to a few minutes for the GPS to kick in.

With the iPhone, I can start and stop logging in GPXMaster, to get a point or a few. Much faster, and doesn't kill the phone battery. Even if I leave it tracking for hours, it doesn't run the phone battery down as fast as camera GPS does to the camera battery. With a small aux. battery in the bag or pocket to recharge, the phone is good for a full day of shooting.

The Garmin is good for a long day on two Nimh AAA cells.

I imagine fully functional camera based solutions will appear, but for now . . .

AG (where in the world is Carmen Schnozziego?)

Look for the teeth holding a rose.

Searching Moose