Re: [OM] OM 55/1.2

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 55/1.2
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 16:35:47 -0500
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Mark writes:
<<Yes, I have the remains of an early 50/1.4 and it has one radioactive lens
<<element. The 55/1.2 I have has two, one of which is the front element, so
<<it is much more yellow than the 50/1.4.

Of course there is a Youtube for almost everything:

https://youtu.be/gkh0bEdjiFY

So how bad is low dose ionizing radiation?   Well we evolved in a sea of low
dose radiation and the data supporting the  correctness LNT (linear no
threshold) model was surprisingly scant
when one looks into it!  Radiation safety people know this well but the public
does not.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2663584/pdf/radiol.2511080671.pdf

There is some data supporting a protective effect in some circumstances perhaps
due to the induction of repair mechanisms.
I think with the publication in 2015 of the large epidemiological study in
French nuclear workers showing an increased risk of leukemia (slight--esp CML)
the
evidence has shifted back in the other direction--but that was just last
year--amazing, really.

I remember I got a tad of P 32 on my shoe (despite bootie thingies)  when in
the lab a number of years ago and  (nuclear run- on experiment) hid them in the
back of the closet to cool off (doesn't take that long to decay T1/2 of 14d)
--Marnie found them and asked why they were there and had to fess up.

Some like it hot, Mike