Re: [OM] LED Stage Lighting and UV

Subject: Re: [OM] LED Stage Lighting and UV
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 17:12:49 -0500
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
CMUM writes:
<<Wouldn't it be simpler, and likely more accurate, to use color reference
standards? At least for folks like AG and Paul, wouldn't it be possible to
photograph standards upon stage, before the show, at intermission, at
<<rehearsal? IT8 target, ColorChecker, even a gray card?

I am sure it would help but some of the LED designs have peaks and very deep
valleys in the spectral power distributions.  If the color is clipped or not
illuminated, it can't be fixed. Think about shooting a target under a
a high pressure Na+ street lamp.  No amount of color balancing will allow
differentiating  blue from black.   Target can be a perfect solution with any
continuous spectrum light source of course.  One suspects this will all be moot
soon enough with the rapid advance of high CRI LED systems.  I think some even
use amber LED's instead of using phosphors to achieve both high efficiency and
very high CRI.  The low red light content is solved and efficiencies can exceed
>110lm/W .

The perfect is the enemy of the good, Mike