[OM] Grammar Police [was: Giant cross, suit of armor, and anti-theft sig

Subject: [OM] Grammar Police [was: Giant cross, suit of armor, and anti-theft sign]
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 07:26:19 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Speaking of grammar police, I was having breakfast with a friend yesterday
and we got onto the subject of apostrophe misuse.  Here on this list, we've
beaten the issue of the use of apostrophes with possessives and plurals for
words ending with "s" to death, but now the issue is about the usage with words
ending with "z".  This came up after seeing a sign advertising Hernandez's
something or other, and I thought this list to be the best place to bring the
subject up for discussion.

     Should the usage be "Hernandez's" or "Hernandez'" in keeping with the
usage for words ending with "s"?

     For those who struggle with correct grammar usage and strive to be GC
(grammatically correct), here's an interesting add-on for Firefox:

https://www.grammarly.com/?q=grammar&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Search&utm_term=grammatically%20correct%20checker&matchtype=b

>Our grammar policeman might have expounded upon the gerund form of the
>verb :-)

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson