Re: [OM] WHAT IN THE WORLD IS HAPPENING TO FILM CAMERA PRICES AGAIN?

Subject: Re: [OM] WHAT IN THE WORLD IS HAPPENING TO FILM CAMERA PRICES AGAIN?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 17:38:58 -0600
> If they are not moving there are no buyers and if there are no buyers the
> asking price is too high.
> That's grade 2 economics.

Not totally. If the sellers are not motivated, the high price will
hold. When the sellers are motivated, you'll see priced get adjusted.
I don't see where it either a buyers or sellers market right now. I'm
predicting that we're now in a five-year hold market. I don't think
we'll see any significant trade in film camera until 2020 at the
earliest. At that point, we're going to be getting a massive influx of
gear from estate sales. With the exception of the collectibles and
rarities, the prices will plummet.

The difference between now and then is that right now, you'll drop the
prices to nothing and they'll still not move, or you can wait and drop
the prices and find buyers. OR, do what others have done and gift
somebody who gives a rip with some gear. There are some millennials
who are getting into this whole "film thing" in a big way, but are
getting junk because that's all people will sell/give them for decent
prices. Why bother buying an OM-Ti for $200 when they can find a AE-1
for $5.

AG Schnozz