Re: [OM] Panasonic GM5 -- Suitable for Left-Eyed Users?

Subject: Re: [OM] Panasonic GM5 -- Suitable for Left-Eyed Users?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 12:03:57 -0800
On 11/30/2016 5:38 AM, CyberSimian wrote:
There has been some discussion recently about the Panasonic GM5. I find appealing the idea of a compact 2-lens system that can produce high-quality images in most of the common scenarios (not super-telephoto, macro, or shallow depth of field, obviously).

The tele and DOF limitations aren't, of course, inherent in the camera. Macro is a lens limitation that can be dealt with pretty easily. These lenses work well with 10, even 16 mm extension tubes. Even the really cheap, light ones are fine with these light lenses.

They also work well with the Oly MCON-P02. It's a very cleverly designed achromatic (two element) C-U lens. It has front and rear push/snap on caps. Pull the rear one off, and it's a 37 mm thread, for the 12-32, Twist the rear cap and it unscrews the integrated step ring, leaving a 46 mm thread, for the 35-100. Either way, the front and rear caps fit together as a single unit in a pocket while the lens is in use.

Unlike many older achromatic C-U lenses, the MCON-P02 has Olys latest coatings; it's like looking into a black hole compared to the old lenses. Better coatings that the relatively recent Nikons.

I don't recall doing a careful test of tube vs. lens with these lenses, so I can't say one is better than the other. I did do careful testing with the 14-140 of tubes vs. a larger achromatic C-U lens. The best results with tubes and lens were slightly different looking but really similar. I couldn't pick an overall winner.

My reservation concerns the position of the EVF. I am left-eyed, and the GM5 seems to be optimised for right-eyed users. This does not necessarily mean that it is unsuitable for left-eyed users, but the left-eyed user might find it less convenient to use.

So, any comments on the usability of the GM5 for left-eyed users?

Like Chris, I'm right eyed. I tried it with my left eye. I wear glasses, including when I'm shooting, and with them, it's really fine; my nose doesn't touch the camera. Sans glasses, it's doesn't feel bad, but I would end up smudging the LCD (which is all smudged, anyway.)

C. U. Moose