Re: [OM] Moose and Carol visit

Subject: Re: [OM] Moose and Carol visit
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 11:10:36 -0800
Nothing is as festive as a visit of esteemed list member, especially our
friends Moose and Carol.  I believe their first visit was 2007.
Always try at a minimum to get a decent shot of Moose at work.  I trust I at
least accomplished that.

Well, that's nice one. The cameras are kinda small, maybe semi-serious, but without a tripod, I'm obviously just a poseur. :-)

Here's what I was shooting at that moment. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=21180> There are a number of subjects I run across regularly in nature where shallow DoF has defeated my desire to show a much deeper slice in focus than has been possible. This is an example where I've used focus stacking to greatly extend the depth of the subject in focus.

I've started allowing the very farthest parts of the subject to drift soft, which seems to me to make the result look less artificial. I've taken endless shots like this where the DoF is insufficient for my taste. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=21174>

I might prefer this other shot you took of me "at work".
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=21170>

He undoubtedly has  more  interesting images from our excursions.

Well, more in quantity, anyway. Here are a dozen from that day's wandering in the marsh. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=21154>

I bracketed the AoV of Marnie's image of the road too wet to take to a drumlin. Much wider. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=21160> And much narrower. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=21162> I love the many subtle color variations in the marsh, but it seems the red in Marnie's image is brighter/more saturated than I recall or see in my images.

This one of a painter apparently shooting her scene for reference in finishing the art is a bit odd. First, there's apparently no palette or paints in the open box. But much more mysteriously, what is the rounded, white shape rising over Great Neck? <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=21170>

The shape could be right for the Moon, but the size seems small. Although the time is close for moonrise, TPE says it was happening far off to the left. There's nothing like that on the island. I suppose it must be a small cloud? But there's nothing like that in any of my other images from there.

There are also other images of the marsh, river and the inhabitants, including the round pond Marnie liked so much <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=21158> and a try at a painterly image of our companions and their reflections. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=21176>

Mud Underfoot Moose