Re: [OM] OT: Concerns

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Concerns
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2016 14:11:20 -0600
Because my father died from colon cancer, my doctor wanted me to get my
first colonoscopy before I was 50. The hospital's insurance plan had other
ideas, so I had to wait or pay the $4000 myself. I got my first one when I
was 50, and they removed a non-cancerous polyp. But because of that, plus
the family history, they wanted the followup at 3 years instead of 5.
Again, the hospital's insurance carrier had other ideas and just didn't
care. Fortunately, the University's insurance actually understands what
"preventative medicine" is about, and will cover me (which they just did).

I also get my PSA levels checked regularly, since Dad's cancer started with
the prostate.

I just couldn't wrap my head around the fact that the health insurance for
a HOSPITAL refused to pay for preventative medicine. Also? Our prescription
plan sucked. Many times they refused to cover a prescription that my doctor
wrote simply because there was no generic equivalent.

On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 2:02 PM, Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am 100% with you. The disdain for modern medicine mirrors the general
> disdain for modern science, as expressed by Trump and his fellow coal fans,
> for example. I have an annual checkup which includes the PSA test and
> everything else that is reasonable for a man in his 50s, courtesy my
> employer, and I am grateful for that.
>
> Cheers,
> Nathan
>
> Nathan Wajsman
> Alicante, Spain
> http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>
> YNWA

> > On 03 Dec 2016, at 17:45, Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Like all on the List, my thoughts are with Tom and Tina as Tom struggles
> > with pneumonia.  But I can't let Chris Trask's post go without comment:
> "I
> > have not seen a doctor in over 20 years."  Sorry, but that's about like
> > bragging, "I haven't checked the oil, let alone changed it, in over
> 100,000
> > miles with my car."  Not bright.  A year and a half ago I attended the
> > funeral of a friend (early 70s) who had let a yearly prostate exam go by.
> > Fatal mistake.  A couple days ago I talked to a friend who, at 77, had
> his
> > first PSA check in five years.  Surprise--PSA level is over 50.  Not
> good.
> > My wife's late (that's right, "late") brother in law, a former Christian
> > Scientist, finally went in to a chiropractor to see why his back had hurt
> > so much for over a year.  One X-ray showed bone metastases from a
> > well-advanced prostate cancer.  Again, a fatal mistake.  An orchiectomy
> > bought him two more weeks of pain.  Having squeaked through a good case
> of
> > cancer myself at 46, I see a doctor for regular exams, and I will
> > unashamedly make an appointment if I think anything--*anything--* is
> > wrong.  Yes, getting old (I'm 74) is not for sissies.  But getting old
> > without regular medical checkups is, frankly, stupid.  You only die once,
> > and I'm too thoroughly enjoying living to let some cancer or other malady
> > catch me unawares.
> >     My yearly digital prostate exam and PSA check is scheduled for late
> > December.  When is yours?
> > Dean
> > --

Paul Braun WD9GCO