Re: [OM] OT: Concerns

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Concerns
From: "CyberSimian" <OlySimian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 12:50:58 -0000
ChrisB wrote:
Thanks for that pep talk, Dean :-) I’ve scheduled a visit to the doctor for Friday 17 December. It’s about time I had a PSA check . . .

Sadly, my eldest brother died from prostate cancer in 2010, aged 64 years 10 months. He had been diagnosed in 2003/2004. Since then, I have taken some interest in this cancer.

Several years ago there was a one-hour documentary on UK TV that illustrated the lives lead by three cancer sufferers, one of whom was suffering from prostate cancer. As part of his segment, the film crew visited the physician who had devised the PSA test, and that physician said on camera that he no longer used the PSA test as a diagnostic tool, as it was too unreliable. This echoed the comments made by my GP the first time that I had visited him for a check.

Your GP will probably offer you the PSA test, but be prepared for another sort of examination, one that is more appropriate for this digital age -- yes, a digital examination(!)

Finally (and this may be apocryphal), your PSA level can vary from day to day, and I have seen suggestions that you should refrain from "conjugal activities" for several days prior to the PSA test. Also, it is suggested that you should not travel to the PSA test on a bicycle. (Hmm, both of those sound like facts one would read on the internet, but if I read them on the internet, they must be true.)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK