Re: [OM] OT: Concerns

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Concerns
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 12:38:24 -0500
For the most part that is true, Ken. There are rare false positives due to
rare prostate neuroendocrine carcinomas that do not produce PSA. I've only
seen two in 25 years of practice. The medical bean counters don't like
screening PSA due to the quite common false positives which bring into play
a lot of followup testing (which is expensive) to determine the cause of
the PSA elevation. This can be caused by benign prostate enlargement,
prostate inflammation, too much sex (just kidding) and of course prostate
cancer.

Charlie