Re: [OM] Advice on OM 7 ??

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice on OM 7 ??
From: Frank <wijsmuller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 14:14:31 +0100
Hey Olaf,

long time no see. Everything well?

I have an A7 myself, and looking to upgrade to an IBIS (II) version, as I
find that very beneficial for my photography (still enjoying m43 as well).
I bought my A7 a couple of weeks before the II version was introduced... oh
well.

Unless you have a need for low-light video, I wouldn't by an S. The
difference between a 7 II  or 7r II would be largely dependent on your
budget, I'd say. Apart from beter IQ (and higher ISO capability),
interesting features that the A7r II has and the A7II not are 4K video
(nice to have) and silent shutter (for me a must have ;-).

Rumors have it that Sony will introduce the A7 III in the first half of
2017. I expect it to both have 4K video and a silent shutter. Initial
pricing will be higher then the current A7 II, as every camera introduced
nowadays seems to be more expensive. Probably to keep up profits in a
declining market. In the USA the 7 II seems to have a more permanent price
cut of $200 recently.

So depending on what you want and your budget, it might be wise to have
some patience...

I think the Sony mirror less offers a superior 'shooting experience'
compared to the Canon full frames, at least my keepers ratio has increased
significantly (without scientific proof btw). In particular image
magnification in the viewfinder enables this, and to a lesser extend focus
peaking. The Canons I owned (original 5D and 6D) also suffered from
irregular exposure when somes lenses were stopped down. My Sony is OK with
that (and when I'm not in hurry, I usually take an exposure wide open (also
to nail focus), and then some stopped down. You'll get to know your lenses
better that way as well, I think.

Mayby the quality increase from 24 to 36/42 Mp will be a stretch for some
Zuiko's wide open. But the lineair resolution increase is less then the
pixel amount suggests (a 84 Mp sensor would double the 24 Mp resolution,
36/42 is somewhere like a 30% increase). Not enough to worry that all
Zuiko's would produce blurred images I think. They will show their age in
the corners however.

I'll leave the fine wine tasting on which Zuiko's are best on digital to
Ken ;-).

Have fun, and you're welcome in Zeist for a test-drive.

PS For macro there is a nifty adapter OM->Sony E
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Focusing-Macro-Infinity-Helicoid-Adapter-Tube-Olympus-OM-Lens-To-Sony-/291554417499>
with a built in variable extension tube. Mine is OK with the 90mm, not with
smaller focal lengths.. My default adapter is this one
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-F-Concept-adapter-for-Olympus-OM-mount-lens-to-Sony-E-mount-NEX-a5000-A7II-/272474743547>,
nice build.