Re: [OM] Advice on OM 7 ??

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice on OM 7 ??
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 17:11:54 -0500
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
AG on one post:
<Unless stopped down, the 50/1.4 is almost
<worthless on the 6D.
<<But when you stop it down, the smearing goes away as it
<<behaves at F5.6 like an F5.6 lens

Ah, yes it goes away on OM5DII quite enough at F2.8, IMO.  Rather looks like
veiling flare but can PP out of it stopped down a tad.  Rendering is MUCH nicer
than 24-105/4 at 50mm. Autofocus, shmadofocus.

I do love AG's detailed posts on this stuff. I think the direct optical effects
of the sensor/sensor stack besides vignetting/veiling flare were underplayed.
Very fast lenses have reduction in MTF even in the CENTER with wrong sensor
stack thickness, others may just suffer off axis astigmatism.
Admittedly  the exit pupil distances of most film slr lenses is long enough to
largely mitigate these effects, though there remains some  noticeable badness
for the fast WA lenses in the corners at least.  I am unsure about the origin
of the odd color smearing in the corners but have not seen any reports of this
except WA RF lenses.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/06/the-glass-in-the-path-sensor-stacks-and-adapted-lenses/

Mike