Re: [OM] Jim's Sonic Booms

Subject: Re: [OM] Jim's Sonic Booms
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 16:26:08 -0600
> It felt cool using the wing sweep, but it was a dreadful waste, as I ranted
> earlier: you see no variable-geometry wing forms these days.

When you compare it to the wing designs of contemporary aircraft from
the same era, I think they got a lot out of the swing wings. The F15,
as well as the F16, had fixed wing designs but were never compromised
by the need to be carrier based or given the never-used requirement of
operating from a 2500' stretch of gravel road.

The F111 was a maintenance beast, but I think the swing mechanism
itself was actually one of the better built parts. I'm not so sure
about the escape pod design and the side-by-side seating, but it all
worked, I guess.

Well, maybe not.

AG