Re: [OM] IMGS: Farm Animals

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: Farm Animals
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2016 11:43:56 -0600
> Most of the fuji are X-Trans, whatever this means. Not the Leicas as far as I
> know.
> I can't wait to get a GFX50 though, with its old hatted Bayer patterns ;-)

The X-Trans sensor should be the same underlying sensor technology
with a different color mask applied over the top. When Fuji changed
over from SUPER CCD to CMOS, they worked with SONY to use
"off-the-shelf" designs with their own custom overlay and mapping.
While the exact underlying chip may still be custom (as would make
some sense for quantities sold), the layout of the sensor itself would
be standardized.

Sony is fabbing for the world right now. Not sure if Panasonic is
anywhere to be seen, but after locking Olympus into second-rate
sensors for a while, it's no wonder that Olympus mated up with Sony.
Not sure if Panasonic fab issues are design or if they are still
earthquake related. Canon never was one to sell to anyone else, but
they are really falling behind Sony in a big way.

AG